SME4SPACE is a Panel of Space SME Associations of the ESA Member States and ESA cooperating States. SME4SPACE was founded in 2007 and officially launched on 19 June 2007 at the International Paris Air Show, Le Bourget. On that day ESA General Director J. J. Dordain signed a Memorandum of Agreement formalising cooperation between ESA and SME4SPACE.
The aim of SME4SPACE is to voice Space SMEs’ viewpoint in an organised and coordinated way and to facilitate the access of SMEs to space activities in general and to ESA programmes in particular.
More in detail the organisation pursues the following not for profit purposes:
- defining and defending common positions, representing the SMEs towards public authorities i.e. the European Space Agency, the European Commission and its related agencies;
- organising seminars and information sessions;
- organising a network of SMEs in order to increase the possibilities to cooperate;
- carrying out research projects, participating at National, European and International calls in space and related activities. In particular the task of “Dissemination and Exploitation of Project Results” (under the voice “Impact”) suits very well the characteristics of SME4SPACE, being able to provide an added value thanks to the large number of SMEs it represents as well as the wide geographical coverage.
The founders of SME4SPACE are AIPAS (Italian Space Companies Association) and the former ASTOS (Association of Specialist Technical Organisations for Space), now SME Forum, UK.
On June 29th, 2011 SME4SPACE has been incorporated as a not for profit organisation under the Belgian Law in Leuven.
- Hans Bracquené, VRI, Belgium, Chairman -
- Giovanni Sylos Labini, AIPAS, Italy, Treasurer -
- Pal Barszy, Hunspace, Hungary
- Stelios Bollanos, Hellenic ASI, Greece
- James Barrington-Brown, Observer